Friday, December 25, 2009

First Turkey in Japan



Yes, folks. I had my first turkey in Japan... it was deeeeelicious. Turkey is quite rare here, so to have it was a real treat. Please don't let the date of today's blog fool you... I had the turkey for Thanksgiving.

While I'm on a fowl topic, I'd like to touch on the Christmas chicken phenomenon... It's customary for people to get chicken for Christmas here, and it's not just any ol' kind of chicken will do, it's gotta be Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sound strange? I thought so too, but there is a reason for it.

Since turkeys are hard to come by here, ex-pats would eat chicken for the holidays... so then KFC thought of a marketing scheme... Westerners eat chicken for the holidays, Christmas is a Western holiday, voila... Christmas Chicken. My oh my, KFC did a good job of their marketing because people line up for their buckets o' chicken and family packs. Colonel Sanders in lookin' good sportin' his Santa suit.

No comments: