Thursday, October 23, 2008

Adventures from a week ago - Foliage around Kurobe Dam

Recently, someone asked me what the seasons were like here in Japan. There are four seasons where I am and I was lucky enough to see some gorgeous foliage during my overnight in the mountains. These photos are taken around the Kurobe Dam. The colors were beautiful. And as luck would have it, the days we were out were beautiful, too!
Oh, I should mention that the Japanese Alps are the homes of snow monkeys. I actually saw one from the bus while traveling though deciduous forests at lowever elevations. I was gazing out the window and thinking to myself, "ah, these forests are lovely. Rather reminicent of the forests in VT..." Then I saw a large furry creature and I thought "ah, maybe a skunk or another critted you'd find in the woods of the N.E. But then it turned and it had a little, red, expressive face. I gasped and nearly shouted "it's a monkey!" My friend responded with a "yeah, so?" To her it is rather commowplace to see monkeys in deciduous woods... for me, not at all! Anyhow, I was very excited to have seen one!












No comments: