Saturday, October 17, 2009

Butterflies

There's a lovely insect museum in Ishikawa, so naturally the gal who once wanted to be an entomologist just had to go. Not only did I go, but I experienced firsthand killer butterflies in the botanical gardens. You've probably heard about killer bees (yup, we've got 'em in Japan), but have you heard of killer butterflies? (Yup, they're in Japan, too). They're quite rare and most people have never heard of them. Their Latin name is Danaus Plexippus and their wing span is about 2 inches for males and 1.5 inches for females.

Ha! Just kidding.

The latin name mentioned above is that of a monarch butterfly. I refer to the butterflies we saw as "killer butterflies" because they scared the bejeezums out of many children. Children who had very little experience with these winged lovelies shrieked in terror and had to be carried out wailing... aw.

But, I had a wonderful time hanging out with these beautiful creatures and when I sat still, many would alight atop of my shoulders/ arms/ head... I loved it. Maybe I should have become an entomologist afterall.



Above: Ah, delightful!


Above: Oh my, my, my! Too many at once, or perhaps, one too many proboscis.

No comments: