Saturday, October 17, 2009

O Sumo, Oh yeah!


The wonderful thing about having friends come to visit is
a) you get to see your friends and
b) you get to do things that you normally wouldn't do otherwise.

For me, that was sumo. I wasn't too terribly interested... until I got there. Tournaments last for weeks and often start at 8:00 a.m. with the the lowest-ranked wrestlers. As the day progresses, the more powerful and the more famous wrestlers come out. We arrived at 3pm to start our viewing of the more powerful wrestlers. Yes my friends, we were there for the best! We stayed until the best of the best fought and then, with dismay, left when they had finished at around 6pm.

I was impressed by the ritual and tradition, the sportsmanship as well as showmanship and of course by the wrestlers size, power and... grace. They were wonderful athletes as well as gracious losers and winners.

All I can say is this, if you get a change to check out a live match, DO IT, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: